Graduation is a significant achievement in any student’s life, and wearing a graduation gown is an essential part of the celebration. Graduation gowns are steeped in tradition and have a rich history that dates back centuries. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about graduation gowns, from their origins to the different styles and colors available.
The Origins of the Graduation Gown
The graduation gown has its roots in the academic attire worn by scholars in the Middle Ages. These robes were worn daily by scholars and were a symbol of their academic status. In the 12th century, universities began to adopt a more standardized dress code, with students and teachers required to wear a uniform academic dress. By the 14th century, this academic dress had become an essential part of the university culture.
The Meaning Behind the Graduation Gown
The graduation gown is a symbol of academic achievement and marks the transition from student to graduate. It is a way of recognizing the hard work and dedication that has gone into completing a degree. The color of the gown represents the field of study, and the hood denotes the level of degree.
Styles of Graduation Gowns
There are several different styles of graduation gowns, including the traditional robe, the tapered robe, and the semi-fitted robe. The traditional robe is the most common style and features long, flowing sleeves, and a full, flared skirt. The tapered robe is a more modern style that is tailored to fit the body, with a narrow skirt and slim sleeves. The semi-fitted robe is a compromise between the two styles, with a fitted bodice and full skirt.
Colors of Graduation Gowns
The color of the graduation gown represents the field of study. For example, graduates in the arts typically wear black gowns, while graduates in business wear navy blue. Other colors include red for law, light blue for education, and gold for science. Some institutions have their own specific colors, and international students may wear a gown in the colors of their home country.
Graduation Gown Accessories
In addition to the gown itself, graduates may wear accessories such as a mortarboard cap, a hood, and a tassel. The mortarboard cap is a square cap with a tassel and is traditionally worn by graduates. The hood denotes the level of degree and is worn over the gown. The tassel is attached to the mortarboard cap and is moved from the right side to the left side when the degree is conferred.
How to Choose the Perfect Graduation Gown
The graduation gown is an important symbol of accomplishment and achievement, so choosing the perfect one is crucial. Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect graduation gown:
- Check the dress code: Before you start shopping for a graduation gown, check the dress code set by your school or university. Some institutions have specific rules and requirements for graduation gowns, including color, length, and style.
- Consider the material: Graduation gowns are typically made of polyester or other synthetic materials. Polyester is a popular choice because it is lightweight, durable, and easy to care for. However, if you prefer natural fibers, you may want to consider a cotton or silk graduation gown.
- Choose the right size: Graduation gowns are usually available in standard sizes, so it’s important to choose the right size for your body type. If you’re unsure about your size, consult the size chart provided by the manufacturer. It’s also a good idea to try on the gown before purchasing to ensure a proper fit.
- Look for customization options: Many graduation gown suppliers offer customization options, such as embroidered school logos or special colors for honor students. Consider these options to add a personal touch to your graduation gown.
- Check for accessories: Some graduation gowns come with matching caps and tassels, while others require separate purchases. Make sure to check if your gown comes with all necessary accessories, and if not, plan to purchase them separately.
Where to Buy Graduation Gowns
There are many options for purchasing graduation gowns, including online retailers, local boutiques, and campus bookstores. Here are some popular options to consider:
- Graduation gown suppliers: Many companies specialize in supplying graduation gowns to schools and universities. Check with your school to see if they have a preferred supplier, or search online for options.
- Online retailers: Online retailers like Amazon, Etsy, and Graduation Mall offer a wide variety of graduation gowns at competitive prices. Make sure to read reviews and check the return policy before making a purchase.
- Local boutiques: If you prefer to shop in person, check out local boutiques that specialize in formal wear. These stores may also offer customization options.
- Campus bookstores: Many campus bookstores offer graduation gowns, caps, and tassels for purchase. This can be a convenient option if you’re already on campus and need to pick up your gown quickly.
In conclusion, choosing the perfect graduation gown is an important decision that requires careful consideration. By following these tips and doing your research, you can find a gown that reflects your personal style and honors your achievements.